Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Research Ideas

So for the last few days I have been exploring Radian 6 and trying to get a feel for all of its capabilities.  At times I feel like I'm asking "What is the meaning of life?" because everything it shoots back at me can be overwhelming.  I had hoped to somewhat stay in college athletics and social media for this assignment, but as noted in previous posts the lack of good quality of research is greatly deterring me from going down that road.  I've explored some things on the web and the areas at this time that I am looking at for research is between how companies use social media platforms and consumers respond (broad topic at this time I know) or to fall back on my poli sci degree, look at how social media is being used for government purposes because I really feel like between policies and individual politicians a lot can be explored.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Scott,

    I'm not sure if this will help you with your research but I'm hoping it will help you look at different ways you can narrow things down a bit: http://www.radian6.com/products/applications/

    Thanks for mentioning us.

    All the best,
    Trish F. (@Dayngr)
    Community Manager | Radian6

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think the lack of previous research is a good enough reason to shift your topic away from your area of interest. If you are really interested in college athletics, we can make it work. I have to catch up on your previous posts, but if you look at college athletics as marketing, or maintaining relationships with publics, or at the literature about fans, you should be able to frame your topic in that body of literature. Understanding some of the dynamics of fan online discourse can help athletics offices figure out better ways to engage with fans online. Even better, figuring out a process to do so (how to listen, analyze, and decide on responses) would be an even more valuable contribution.

    Now, I have to ask you though how any of these topic align with your research interests outside of this class? Is this research project a step in the general direction you want to go, in the long run? It should be.

    I'm glad you're thinking about how to use Radian 6 for this research early on. You need to keep that in mind as you're defining a topic.

    This being said, the other general interest areas you have listed will also work. Regardless which one you pick, you will have to NARROW things down to a much more focused topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if you haven't changed or decided to do a different project....here's a start... http://bit.ly/f2V0LX

    ReplyDelete